Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Run Along Little Wooly

As I was driving home from the vet this morning I saw something I have not had the fortune of seeing before: a fuzzy caterpillar on a mission. Clearly it was on a mission because it was crossing the street and most caterpillars I have come across are fairly happy staying put as in the case of Dr. David Watson's eyebrows*.

I saw this caterpillar booking it across the street as fast as his numerous tiny leg stumps would carry him. It brought a smile to my face and a tear to my eye because he was both amusing and a cause of worry as I feared for his safety.

As I watched him in my rear view mirror, I imagined what was running though his cute little brain, and I came up with two very likely scenarios.

Scenario one: "I'm bad. I'm crossing the street. They said I couldn't because I was too small. I'll show them. I'm strutting with the wind in my hair. Check it, Cindy is so digging me right now."

Scenario two: "'No, I don't want this leaf, I want the leaf over there.' Why does she have to be so picky? This is f-ing dangerous, and here I am risking my life for a frickin' leaf just to make her happy. Jesus! What was that? It was huge and loud and the windy! Go fetal! Go fetal! Curl up tight! It'll go away! Mommy?"

I just love thinking like a caterpillar.

*A long time ago in Springfield there was a minister/pastor/what-not named Dr. David Watson. Of the many things he was known for one of them was his morning show with a message of faith aired on KY3 and, among my family, his magnificent fuzzy eyebrows which were clearly big, fuzzy strategically placed caterpillars.

No comments:

Post a Comment