Thursday, June 11, 2009

Shucks and Ahhhh

I wouldn't necessarily call it disappointment and I'm not really amazed either, but it is something I have been a little obsessed with lately.

First, it would be appropriate to say that I, like a generation of people who support thumb torture, am an avid texter. I'm nowhere near the thousand levels, but I can easily hit the upper 40s in a day (which is only impressive because I only know two people). But it's not a problem and I can quit anytime I swear.

Now as a texter I have regrettably participated in behaviors I do not approve of nor condone. I'm talking about ... wl u no.

Seeing inappropriate abbreviations and purposely misspelled words makes me cringe. Sure, I'm not perfect but ... grr.

As a by-product I am also fairly good at finding meaning in statements like, "4got 2 ask when i tt c and p."

Which brings me to my current obsessive thought. In my line of work I take lots of notes. Taking these notes by hand is bad because I have spent years training myself to write in an elaborate manner and, while pleasing to the eye, swooshes and swirls do not make for quick writing.

Since I have learned in the past three years to type without looking at a keyboard my typing is a bit quicker, but it is still not really good.

So, with my ability to hop in and out of absurd abbreviations why can I not do it when taking notes. I have my old stand-bys, but when it comes to something unexpected my head goes blank and I fall behind.

That's about it. For the past two weeks all I've done is sit and think about why I can't make up abbreviations on the fly. It's kept me up at night a few times.

No comments:

Post a Comment