Wednesday, July 1, 2009

Infestation

My house has been infested. I should point out it is nothing new; I just sort of realized how big of a problem it is.

The realization dawned as me as I watched the 18-month old wonder-child pouring his breakfast Cheerios (as opposed to his lunch and dinner Cheerios) onto the floor and into a new bowl. He then picked select Cheerios up and put them carefully into an oven mitt.

Now, I can''t be 100 percent sure, but I can be as close to that as possible, that if he is doing these things while I am watching he is doing this when I am not watching. Well, that is when he's not too busy climbing to the top of a bookcase, petting the animals with his face, and throwing everything I hold dear away with his diapers.

I have heard time and time again a story about my husband putting his Cheerios in the hay loft of a Little People barn and down in the air conditioning vents. So, this leads me to believe one thing and that is: these innocuous little 'O' shaped finger foods have been infesting people's houses for generations.

So, I know there are Cheerios in oven mitts and twice a day (Hehe) I vacuum them up off the floor, but the infestation begins past that point. I don't even know where to begin looking for stashes of Cheerios. They could be anywhere. I'm growing wary of putting on closed-toe shoes, looking too carefully into my way-too-often open dresser drawers and so on, but I know if I don't the infestation will get worse. Way worse. A worse I don't even want to thing about.

I have one saving grace on my war against the infestation of Cheerios and that is my cat that likes to eat anything that ends with 'O' - Frito's, Doritos, and, thankfully, Cheerios.

1 comment: