Friday, March 6, 2009

Everything's better with a song.

Renovate good times, come on! It's a renovation! I have come to realize I will not be happy in a house that I haven't personally demolished, redecorated and, as they say, put my personal touch on.

Years ago, I had a friend explain my decorating style in terms closely related to chaos decorating. I believe it's somewhere in the vicinity of lived-in meets chock full of trinkets. On numerous occasions I have had people tell me every time they would come into my room they would find something new.

Those days are long gone of course. But only just. My poor little cluttered, yet amazingly organized, room is long gone. It may seem sad, but things change. I now have a whole house dedicated to the shrine of cute. Unfortunately, as I have aged I have also realized new things about collecting. While it is nice to have one of something to show off, I have found the more the merrier is usually much more accurate.

Example: one Super Mario mushroom candy container is cute. Seventy-six of them adorning the house would be frickin' adorable. Excessive? Perhaps. Pleasing to the eye? You betcha! Same thing goes with the lawn ornament bunnies. Displaying one bunny in my failed attempt at a flower garden says, "Look here, I failed at growing plants." Thirteen smiling bunny statues says, "Screw plants, I have thirteen bunnies in my garden. What do you have?"

I know I probably have border-line hoarder personality disorder. And I'm sure if I didn't have my husband watching everything I bring into the house it would probably be worse...

But I have gone way off topic. Back to the beginning. Renovation. I am looking forward to completely overhauling my master bedroom. There will be painting (Yay!) There will be reflooring (Yay!) There will be new furniture (Yay!) And after all is said and done and I have updated my bedroom to resemble a respectable grown-up bedroom, I know the truth is my trinkets will find their way in.

There is no escape from them, and I don't really think I want to. I mean, come to think of it, shouldn't everyone have 16 Madagascar penguin weeble-wobble party favors decorate their abode?

No comments:

Post a Comment