Tuesday, March 10, 2009

The Secret Life of Soup

I've been having a heyday with casseroles lately. I completely fall in line with the idea that throwing everything in the fridge together and calling it dinner. But even more than believing that, I am testing out a theory that everything is better with mushroom soup on it. Or in it. So long as the mushroom soup isn't on its own.

I learned a long time ago that I didn't care for prepared cream of mushroom soup. No scratch that. After many failed attempts I realized I absolutely despised mushroom soup. But why? It is good in green bean casserole. It is frickin' awesome on top of hamburgers. It tastes good on any number of dishes, just so long as it isn't on its own.

Unfortunately I can't justify attempting to prepare cream of mushroom soup using hamburger grease instead of milk. I guess in some ways it wouldn't be any different from making a pie crust with lard, but for some reason it seems icky.

I suppose the good news is as long as soups, stuffings and other assorted food items keep coming up with casserole recipes I don't have to worry about actually eating mushroom soup as it was intended, but I can continue eating it as it should be. Success!

No comments:

Post a Comment